BY STEPHEN HANDELMAN
FOREIGN AFFAIRS WRITER
UNITED NAIIONS - Warning the United Nations is begining to "drift," Canada has proposed a sweeping shake-up of the organization's peacekeeping and economic assisstance activities.
Foreign Affair Minister André OueHet announced that Canada will sponsor a feasibility study on a permanent U.N. military force, as part of a five-point reform plan to give the U.N "a second wind" for the 21st century.
"Too often, the intervention of the United Nations comes too late, iS too slow and is carried out under inadequate conditions," Ouellet said in a speech to the General Assembly.
"We invest too much energy in activities of marginal use and in unimportant quarrels when there is an emergency right under our noses.
"As a result of our extreme reluctance to implement administrative reform we are handicapping the only institution on which we can depend."
The idea is a military force comprising troops permanently asssigned to the United Nations has won increasing support in the past year from top UN officials and who argue it would have saved lives and avoided bureaucratic snafus in Rwanda and Somalia.
Russian President Boris Yeltsin is the latest national leader to indicate his support during this week's General Assembly debate.
But the United States and several other Western powers have opposed any structure that would control over their peacekeeping troops in the field.
The open support of Canada - one of the U.N.'s foundingding natioris - is bound to place the question on the agenda for next year,s 50th celebration of the world body.
Ouellet said the idea is one of several reforms that could "restore the relevence and leadership of the United Nations system" in the 21st century. Tunning to the U.N.'s system of financing, Ouellet said the organization needs to put in place "sound management" practices.
Our taxpayers do not question the need to coontribute to the U.N, but they quite rightly expect that their contributions will be spent judiciously," he said.
He called for a review of the methods by which individual member contributions are assessed.
Critics have argued that while the United States annually pays more than 30 per cent of the cost of peacekeeping, other wealthy nation contribute far less than they are able to afford.
Canada is among the few nations that have completely paid their U.N. bills.
Toronto Star (30 September 1994). Again Orwell is right: for "peace" substitute "war".
- ACTIVISME JUDICIAIRE (3)
- ANTICLÉRICAUX ET FRANCS-MAÇONS (4)
- APOSTASIE TRANQUILLE (1)
- AVORTEMENT (19)
- BANQUES (1)
- BIENTÔT UN GOUVERNEMENT MONDAIL? UNE SUPER ET CONTRE-ÉGLISE (47)
- CHANGEMENTS CLIMATIQUES (6)
- COMMUNISME (23)
- COMPLOTS (32)
- CORRUPTION AU CANADA (15)
- CORRUPTION IN CADADA (220)
- CRÉATEUR DIVIN VERSUS CRÉATEUR EXTRA-TERRESTRE (2)
- CRÉDIT SOCIAL PAS UN PARTI POLITIQUE (14)
- CRIME DE HAINE ET PROPAGANDE HAINEUSE (4)
- DU COMMUNISME AU MONDIALISME (21)
- ÉCOLE LAÏQUE (2)
- ÉCONOMIE (1)
- ÉDUCATION DES ENFANTS (1)
- ENCYCLIQUE «DIVINI RREDEMPTORIS» SUR LE COMMUNISME ATHÉE (5)
- EUTHANASIE (1)
- EXTRÉMISTES LAÏQUES (1)
- FÉMINAZISME (2)
- FÉMINAZISME-FÉDÉRATION DES FEMMES DU QUÉBEC (3)
- FIDEL CASTRO (2)
- GEORGE SAND - ÉTUDE D'UNE ÉDUCATION (1)
- GRAND ORIENT DE FRANCE (1)
- GRIPPE COCHONNE OU H1N1 (5)
- HOMOSEXUALITÉ (15)
- HUMOUR POLITIQUE (1)
- Islam (2)
- ISLAM ET LE CORAN (3)
- KARL MARX ET SATAN (8)
- KHROUTCHEV (1)
- L'ÉCOLE LAÏQUE ET LE RAPPORT PROULX (47)
- La République Universelle (16)
- LE BLOC QUÉBÉCOIS - LE RIN - LE PARTI QUÉBÉCOIS (23)
- LE CHRISTIANISME A-T-IL FAIT FAILLITE? (8)
- LE MARXISME-LÉNINISME (43)
- LES CRIMES DU COMMUNISMES (60)
- LES FORCES OCCULTES DANS LE MONDE MODERNE (4)
- LES JUIFS DANS LE MYSTÈRE DE L'HISTOIRE (48)
- LIBÉRALISME (1)
- LIBRE ENTREPRISE (1)
- MÉDIAS ANTICLÉRICAUX (1)
- MESSAGES AU LECTEUR (1)
- MOMENTS HISTORIQUES (1)
- MOUVEMENT LAÏQUE QUÉBÉCOIS OU FRANÇAIS (1)
- MYSTÈRE D'INIQUITÉ - MYSTERIUM INIQUITATIS (40)
- NATIONS UNIS - COMMISSION DES DROITS DE L'HOMME (2)
- Persécutions Anti-Chrétiennes (1)
- PHILOSPHIE (2)
- RAPPEL HISTORIQUE (1)
- RÉCHAUFFEMENT PLANÉTAIRE (8)
- RELATIONS DES JÉSUITES TOME 6 (119)
- RELIGION (1)
- SANTÉ AU NATUREL (1)
- SÉKOU-TOURÉ (1)
- SÉPARATISME (2)
- SOINS DE SANTÉ SOCIALISTES (1)
- SUICIDE ET MÉDICATION (1)
- SUPERSTITIONS (1)
- THE UNITED NATIONS EXPOSED (23)
- TITISME (1)
- TITO (1)
- TROTSKY (1)
Les Relations des Jésuites contiennent 6 tomes et défont le mythe du bon Sauvage de Jean-Jacques Rousseau, et aussi des légendes indiennes pour réclamer des territoires, ainsi que la fameuse «spiritualité amérindienne».
Archives du blogue
- ► 2010 (147)
- ► 2009 (155)
- ► 2008 (410)
05/20 - 05/27
- 496-498 CANADIANS SPEND ONE BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR...
- 498-499 CSIS, CBC, SOMALIA, AND THE AIRBORNE
- 499-499 THE GOVERNMENT AND THE TERRORISTS
- 501-501 THE AIRBORNE IN SOMALIA
- 502-502 Canada calls for permanent U.N. peace forc...
- 503-503 Canada to build peacekeeper training centr...
- 505-505 CANADA DOESN'T NEED CSIS
- 507-508 CANADA'S NEW SECRET POLICE
- 510-516 LET THE STUDENTS/ PUBLIC JUDGE: CHARACTER ...
- ▼ 05/20 - 05/27 (9)